Sunday 23 August 2015

Off we go....

Just a quick note...to say I used to have a blog years ago but...someone lost the details...I will not mention names...since then I have been blog-less....but now I have a new blog....so my previous travels an be outed....!

Off we go.......because I am an Educated Monkey.....

April 2007

Having settled in at home I got wind of a potential trip...so I decided it was time I learned to drive...


To be honest I dont know what all you humans make so much fuss about really.  An hour in and here I am at the wheel, Mr Confident, on the motorway heading South West....

Mind you....after all that concentrating I felt somewhat unable to balance....so Mum gave a helping hand....


Stonhenge...construction commenced around 2600BC....and they still havent put the windows in!


More stones....this time...

Avebury

This is the worlds largest prehistoric stone circle...and then a bunch of norberts built a village right in the middle of it....and a pub....so if you should be up for a potentially eerie drink or two...this place offers you the chance....

After a nice kip and full English breakfast...yum!...it was time to visit Silbury Hill....

...the 4500 year old megalithic mystery.  It is the tallest man-made prehistoric mound in Europe....

Onward to the village of Lacock...so unspoilt that it has appeared in many films...and well worth a visit....and if you are lucky enough...


...you will be treated to the annual Scarecrow competition around the village.  And just what I need....something stuck right up me...

ARMPITS!!

Some family situations just arent going to work out...heres a classic one....


As an aside, and as I love history, the definitve publishing of Magna Carta in 1225 by Henry III, had many copies which toured the country....one copy ended up being kept in Lacock Abbey till 1946.

Finally...homeward...but not without stopping at Sutton Benger, near Chippenham for this...

The Green Man

All very Pagan I must say....and usually to be found in churches....this was due to the fact that the poor people who built the churches and then crafted what went in them were not Christians....but Pagans....

No comments:

Post a Comment